Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Great Escape at the YMCA

Anyone who knows me knows that a part of my "therapy" in dealing with Autism, being a working mom and life in general is that I work out EVERY day. I LOVE going to the YMCA, it has been a great source of escape, friendship and fellowship with some really fantastic people. I know there are people who have children with Autism who have not had a good experience with the Katy Y, but we have and we love it there!! We have been members for several years and have had the priveledge of knowing a lot of people there most of whom are fantastic. They have always been very welcoming and accepting of us, Spencer and his differences.

The girls in the Child Watch are the best, and they L-O-V-E Spencer! They always greet him with a huge smile and a hug! He can be challenging at times and I have worked very hard to educate them on Autism and how to "deal" with Spencer while he is there. To successfully have a child with special needs included in a community program you, the parent, has to be willing to partner with them and work toward acceptance and tolerance. Most days Spencer loves it, he actually looks forward to it!! He has this cute little routine where he jumps over all the "cracks" in the pavement on the way in, holds my card to have it scanned at the front desk and then runs to the far windows so he can look at the pool. We stay there for just a quick minute, then I say "Spencer let's go play with our friends and then maybe we can go swim afterwards." On the way to Child Watch, he pushes the buttons on the 2 water fountains, taps the Coke machine and then taps the candy machine (not the Powerade machine, just these 2--I dunno). (It's a weird little OCD thing...but hey it's the simple things in life!!) Then he walks into Child Watch without a fuss, gets his sticker and goes to his room. I get to workout for about 2 hours and then we either go swim or pick up a treat for the way home. Easy as pie!!

Well, during our 2 weeks of antibiotics, that all changed for the worse!! I didn't realize it at the time, but when I finally put it all together it made sense. It started out with him acting really aggressive towards the staff, screaming, crying and hitting. They would come get me, I would go down to his room and tell him "Spencer we need to be nice and not scream, if you are good you will get your treat." He would calm down and I would go back to my class. This kept escalating each day until finally one day after going down there to "calm him down" several times, I had to leave after only 30 minutes of workout. If you know me, I get a little (okay, a LOT) bit cranky if I don't get at least an hour a day. I'm sort of pouty like that, I get in a funk all night, just because I didn't work out.....some say I am obsessed, I say, it's how I deal! Prayer and meditation for the mind and exercise for the body! A well rounded approach I say! (At least I don't have to take meds, drink or spend hours in therapy. ) I digress....

Well, like I said Spencer loves the pool at the Y, he could sit and stare at it for hours!! About a week ago we were at the Y and I had just got started on my workout...RPM--an awesome Spin Class--it's a new one and I am LOVING it. This was only the 3rd time I had been able to go, so I was really looking forward to this class. About 10 minutes in the Child Watch girl came down and asked that I go “talk” to Spencer. Well talking hadn't really been working the last few days, so I asked her if it would be okay if he went into the Kids Zone. (It's for the older kids and they get to play video games--he LOVES the Wii and PS2, so I figure it would entertain him for the rest of my class.) The room also has windows that overlook the pool, so he happily went in and sat on the couch by the windows and seemed so much happier and content. I'm thinkin..."Cool, this will for sure be his thing and will help with his aggression, maybe he was just bored in the other room?" So back to RPM I go. I actually got through the rest of the workout, but when I went back to Child Watch to pick him up the girls all had this VERY worried and concerned look on their faces.

One of them said "Tami, I am so sorry, Spencer got out, we are calling our supervisor right now! I don't know how this happened, I am so sorry, this is very scarey!!" I mean she was terrified!!

I was like "what happened?"  I wasn't really all that alarmed, Spencer has this way of "wandering". While it can be scary at times, I really am pretty calm about it, because it happens pretty often and I always know where to find him, anywhere there is water or a lawn mower!

She said "He somehow slipped out and went down the hall (btw-this is a REALLY long hall) and went out the doors to the pool, had his shoes off and was taking his shirt off! He was about to get in the pool!"

I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh, that is so typical of Spencer. You see he is actually a LOT smarter than we all give him credit for. I know him.......he sat on that couch all quiet and content (looking sweet and innocent), but all the while watching the staff, plotting and planning his escape. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing! He wanted to go swimming and that was that!

I guess in the end I can say this little stint of antibiotics gave us our share for grief.   I'm sure they did their job and I am so thankful for that, but I am ultra happy we are DONE!!  We have been back to the Y the last week and EVERY day I have gone to pick him up, the girls all say how great he was.  And, I haven't had to leave class and I have even pulled a few doubles (that's 2 cardio-classes back to back)!!  What a treat!!

Look forward to the next post, we just got results from out consult with Spectrum of Hope and it was GREAT!!!

Took this last night, found him in Parker's room with the helmet on and football in hand!  My little Sporto!!  Can you tell he's ready for for some football?  Countdown...isn't it like 3 weeks until pre-season starts?  Go Texans!! 



Until next time...peace, love, hope and prayers!

T

Consider it a pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trails of many kinds. Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

James 1:2-4

1 comment:

  1. Tami, you are such a wonderful parent and deal with Spencer in such a beautiful way. Your strength and dependence on our faithful God is the key that you have discovered. Go autism warrior!
    As a working wife and mom, I don't get to see you very much except to wave at you down the street. We saw Cosmo out the other night and knocked on your door to you guys know. Have a wonderfully blessed day! Cynthia Couch

    ReplyDelete