Friday, July 10, 2009

The New Not So Super Smoothie

We blogged a while back about the Spencer Super Smoothie. Well, the crazy hippie lady at Thoughtful House told us to start “rotating” his food. Seriously, I’m happy enough we are getting him to eat smoothies and some meats. Now I have to think about “rotating”…who has time for that? Do I need to make a chart? Oh, I’m really good at charts…just ask Parker about his chore charts! HA!! I don’t have a chart yet, but I can see it in my not too distant future. Anyway, so to get some sort of rotation, we started changing up the smoothies a little bit, experimenting with adding in different fruits and veggies.



Well, Mike was going by the HEB on Monday and asked if I needed anything for Lou. I said, “sure get some cantaloupe, flax seed, and any other fresh fruit and veggie you see that he might like and see if they have any hemp or chia seed.” We both get pretty excited because he actually found some hemp seed.

Now before you all go calling CPS cause I got my kid on some hippie lettuce/wacky tobacy, let me clarify. This is not marijuana hemp, it is from the hemp plant (the seeds are really good for you—check it out http://www.smartbomb.com/nw15455.html !!) they grind up the seeds into a powder that is jam packed with protein and many vitamins that Spencer needs (tryptophan being one). Tryptophan is essential in healthy brain function.  You may know it for it's popularity during Thanksgiving.  You know it's found in turkey and everyone blames it on why they sleep all day on the couch after their Thanksgiving feast. FYI—it ain’t the tryptophan that’s makin you sleepy it’s all the yummy treats and a little over eating! Don’t you just love thanksgiving!! Mmm….turkey, gravy, rolls, pie…I’m getting hungry! Ooops, Sorry…..I was dreamin….back to the HEB story…he gets the hemp, some spinach, carrots, and asparagus.

The next evening we set out to make some new smoothies…for the base of the smoothie, we pretty much stick to the basics: berries, carrots, and either broccoli or spinach but this time we decide to throw in a few stalks of asparagus and a scoop of Hemp powder. We make the smoothies in a batch of 5 at a time, that way we are only making them every 3rd day. We have a Magic Bullet that makes some really awesome smoothies—it ROCKS!! It comes with 5 cups, thus the reason we make 5 at a time. We get all 5 prepped and then one at a time we blend them up. The blending is somewhat of an art you need to have just the right amount of liquid to get it blended…if you don’t have enough it won’t blend, if you have too much, it will be too runny and impossible to feed Spencer. It’s a process of put the lid on, blend until it seems stuck, take it off, shake it up, put it back, take it off, shake it up, put it back, etc. until it’s all blended up smoothly. We get them all done and they actually blended up pretty nicely, except for the lovely green coloring.

So Tuesday evening I sit down to give him his first “new” smoothie, he takes it okay but with every bite he gives me a really weird look and seems to “roll” it around in his mouth before swallowing. I think to myself, well, he’s just not that hungry. Wednesday morning comes and Mike experiences the same thing and it takes him FOREVER to eat it. Wednesday night, same thing, so I smell it, it smells AWEFUL, like asparagus. After about 3 or 4 bites, he starts gagging and coughing, I quickly put the cup under his mouth to catch anything he decides to give back to me. Wouldn’t that be lovely, green puréed spinach and asparagus all over the place! I manage to get it all down him, but I think I may throw the last 2 out. They are just too nasty. What did we learn today, adding asparagus makes for a NOT so Super Smoothie!! YUCK!

Until next time...peace, love, hope and prayers!

T

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. John 14:1


No comments:

Post a Comment